Indian Hills Middle School requires that backpacks remain in lockers from the beginning of first period to the end of sixth period. This policy has been discussed with and passed by School Community Council, PTSA and the IHMS Building Leadership Team. The concerns that lead to this decision included, but are not limited to:
- The weight of backpacks that students pack around all day long and the possible adverse issues as students are physically developing.
- Safety concerns in the hallways with the extra 12-15 inches of space for each backpack in our already very crowded hallways.
- Safety concerns in the classrooms with as many as 30-40 backpacks on the ground creating unsafe walking paths.
- Organizational issues with backpacks being the “black hole” of missing assignments and working against our students’ success.
What students will be allowed to take to periods 1-6:
- Students will be allowed to carry a standard size (16” x 14”x 5”) drawstring bag or sash style book bag of similar size
- The required IHMS organizational binder (these can be purchased from the school or supplied by the student).
- Students will be allowed to take a backpack to 7th period due to the strict bus departure schedule.
- Students should organize their day a couple of periods at a time to avoid having to carry too much stuff to every classroom.
- Students could have more than one drawstring bag for the morning and one for the afternoon to help them with staying organized a couple periods at a time.
- Plan out the day according to when natural access to a locker is necessary, i.e. going to PE, lunch, elective class, etc.
We look forward to a safer environment that will allow your student to be successful!